Feasibility of Minilaparoscopic Cholecystectomy. A pilot Study
Iraqi Postgraduate Medical Journal,
2020, Volume 19, Issue 4, Pages 326-330
Cholecystectomy is the defacto standard operation for cholelithiasis and there are continuous attempts to do it through a less invasive incision known as mini laparoscopic cholecystectomy (MLC).
The purpose of this study is to evaluate the safety and feasibility of MLC in our center.
PATIENTS AND METHODS:
This is a pilot study involving 6 selected patients for whom MLC was performed at Al-Jamhory teaching hospital after acquiring the ethical committee permission and patients’ informed consent.
The study includes six patients, their average age is 27 years and their average BMI is 28kgm2. The average operative time is 53 minutes without intra-operative complications. The post-operative pain is mild and the hospital stay is about 12 hours. All patients were satisfied with the cosmetic results.
This study shows that MLC a safe and feasible procedure; it takes more time than LC but has mild post-operative pain and excellent cosmetic results. It can also be done as a day case surgery.
- Christopher E., Larry C.; Lessons Learned from the Evolution of the Laparoscopic Revolution.Surg Clin N Am 88 (2008) 927–941
- Reynolds JrW. The first laparoscopic cholecystectomy. JSLS 2001 Jan–Mar;5(1):89–94
- A prospective analysis of 1518 laparoscopic cholecystectomies. The Southern Surgeons Club. N Engl J Med 1991;324:1073-8.
- Litwin DE, Girotti MJ, Poulin EC, Mamazza J, Nagy AG. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy: Trans-Canada experience with 2201 cases. Can J Surg 1992;35:291-6
- Berggren U, Gordh T, Grama D, Haglund U, Rastad J, Arvidsson D. Laparoscopic versus open cholecystectomy: Hospitalization, sick leave, analgesia and trauma responses. Br J Surg 1994;81:1362-1365.
- Moshe Schein .Paul N. Rogers (Editors).Schein’s Common Sense Emergency Abdominal Surgery .Second Edition. Chapter 10 page83.
- Gupta A, Shrivastava UK, Kumar P, Burman D. Minilaparoscopic versus laparoscopic cholecystectomy: A randomized controlled trial. Trop Gastroenterol 2005;26:149-51.
- Unger SWParamo JCPerez M Microlaparoscopic cholecystectomy: less invasive gallbladder surgery. Surg Endosc 2000;14336- 339PubMedGoogle ScholarCrossref
- Reardon PRKamelgard JIApplebaum BRossman LBrunicardi FC Feasibility of laparoscopic cholecystectomy with miniaturized instrumentation in 50 consecutive cases. World J Surg 1999;23128- 132PubMedGoogle ScholarCrossref
- World J Gastrointest Surg. 2015 Oct 27; 7(10): 243–248. New minimally invasive approaches for cholecystectomy: Review of literature
- Blinman T. Incisions do not simply Sum. Surg Endosc2010;24:1746-1751.
- Yuan RH1, Lee WJ, Yu SC.Mini-laparoscopic cholecystectomy: a cosmetically better, almost scarless procedure. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 1997 Aug;7(4):205-11.
- Sapalidis K.Mini-laparoscopic cholecystectomy with the MiniLap percutaneous surgical system: a series of 32 patients. International Journal of General Medicine 2018:11 369–371
- Haris R Shaikh, Asad Abbas, Salik Aleem, Miqdad R Lakhani. Is mini-laparoscopic cholecystectomy any better than the gold standard?: A comparative study.2017;1:42-46.
- Lee PC, Lai IR, Yu SC. Minilaproscopic (needlescopic) cholecystectomy: A study of 1,011 cases. Surg Endosc 2004;18:1480-4.
- Sarli L, Iusco D, Gobbi S, Porrini C, Ferro M, Roncoroni L. Randomized clinical trial of laparoscopic cholecystectomy performed with mini-instruments. Br J Surg 2003;90:1345-8
- Bisgaard T, Klarskov B, Rosenberg J, Kehlet H. Characteristics and prediction of early pain after laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Pain 2001;90:261-9.
- Gurusamy KS, Samraj K, Davidson BR. Low pressure versus standard pressure pneumoperitoneum in laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009;CD006930.
- Deniz Atasoy, Afag Aghayeva, Volkan Özben, et al. Mini-laparoscopic versus traditional laparoscopic cholecystectomy: A preliminary study. Laparosc Endosc Surg Sci 2017;24(4):117-121
- Sajid MS, Khan MA, Ray K, Cheek E, Baig MK. Needlescopic versus laparoscopic cholecystectomy: a meta-analysis. ANZ J Surg 2009;79:437–42.
- Chong VH.,Yim HB.,Lim cc..Clip induced biliary stone. Singapore Med J 2004;45:533-535.
- Wasserberg N.,Gal E.,Facu Z.et al.Surgical clip found in duodenal ulcer after laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Surg Laparos Endosc Percutan Tech 2003;13:387-388.
- Gurusamy KS1, Vaughan J, Ramamoorthy R, Fusai G, Davidson BR. Miniports versus standard ports for laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013 Aug
- Carvalho GL1, Paquentin EM2, Redan JA3, Shadduck PP. The Science Behind Mini-Laparoscopic holecystectomy.Surg Technol Int. 2016 Oct 26;29:93-98.
- Thakur V1, Schlachta CM, Jayaraman S. Minilaparoscopic versus conventional laparoscopic cholecystectomy a systematic review and meta-analysis.Ann Surg. 2011 Feb;253(2):244-58.
- Chowdhury HK1. Mini-Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy: Review of 7200 Cases. Could it be the New Gold Standard? .Mymensingh Med J. 2016 Apr;25(2):284-8.
- Article View: 24
- PDF Download: 28