Relationship of Platelet Lymphocyte Ratio and Neutrophil Monocyte Ratio with Disease Severity of Knee Osteoarthritis
Iraqi Postgraduate Medical Journal,
2020, Volume 19, Issue 4, Pages 345-349
Osteoarthritis is a low-grade systemic inflammatory and degenerative disease in which many inflammatory mediators are known to be elevated in the peripheral blood. Platelet lymphocyte ratio and neutrophil monocyte ratio are novel markers in many systemic inflammatory disorders. Studies are limited on its link with knee osteoarthritis severity.
To evaluate the relationship of PLR and NMR with the Knee Osteoarthritis (KOA) severity
PATIENTS AND METHODS:
A total of 200 patients with KOA were diagnosed according to the American College of Rheumatology clinical criteria 2016. Demographic and clinical characteristics data were recorded. X-ray was taken for both knee joints in standing and lateral position view. Blood samples were collected PLR and NMR were calculated.
Mean age was 62.3 ± 8.7 years, female to male ratio as 1.5:1. Mean BMI was 29.2 ± 6.3 kg/m2, and knee OA duration 9.8 ± 7.8 years. Age, knee OA duration, menopausal duration, total WOMAC score and menopause were significantly correlated with increase knee OA severity (p<0,001), (p<0,001), (p<0,001), and (p=0,003) respectively while marital status was significantly inversely correlated with knee OA severity (P<0.001). Knee OA duration and total WOMAC score were the only independent predictors of knee OA severity (p<0.001), (p<0.001) respectively. PLR and NMR were not correlated with severity of KOA.
PLR and NMR had no significant correlation with the KOA severity
- Taşoğlu Ö, Bölük H, Onat ŞŞ, Taşoğlu İ, Özgirgin N. Is blood neutrophil-lymphocyte ratio an independent predictor of knee osteoarthritis severity?. Clinical rheumatology. 2016 Jun 1;35(6):1579-83.
- Güler Uysal F, Başaran S. Knee osteoarthritis. Turk J Phys Med Rehab 2009 ; 55(Suppl 1):1–7
- Katz JD, Agrawal S, Velasquez M. Getting to the heart of the
matter: osteoarthritis takes its place as part of the metabolic syndrome. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2010; 22(5):512–9
- Bondeson J, Bloom AB, Wainwright S, et al.The role of synovial macrophages and macrophage produced mediators in driving inflammatory and destructive responses in osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum 62(3):647–57
- Franke S, Sommer M, Rüster C, et al. Advanced glycation end products induce
cell cycle arrest and proinflammatory changes in osteoarthritic
fibroblast-like synovial cells. Arthritis Res Ther 2009; 11(5):R136
- Huffman KM, Kraus WE. Osteoarthritis and the metabolic
syndrome: more evidence that the etiology of OA is different in
men and women. Osteroarthr Cartil 2012 ; 20(7):603–4
- Kellgren JH, Lawrence JS . Radiological assessment of osteo-arthrosis. Ann Rheum Dis 1957 ; 16 (4):494–502
- Shi J, Zhao W, Ying H, et-al. The relationship of platelet to lymphocyte ratio and neutrophil to monocyte ratio to radiographic grades of knee osteoarthritis. Z Rheumatol, Springer Medizin Verlag GmbH 2017; 77(6):533-37.
- Loukov D, Karampatos S, Maly MR, Bowdish DME. Monocyte activation is elevated in women with knee-osteoarthritis and associated with inflammation, BMI and pain. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2018; 26(2):255-63.
- Fu H, Qin B, Hu Z, et al . Neutrophil- and platelet-to-lymphocyte ratios are correlated with disease activity in rheumatoidarthritis. Clin Lab 2015. ; 61(3–4):269–273
- Qin B, Ma N, Tang Q, et al . Neutrophil tolymphocyte ratio (NLR) and platelet to lymphocyteratio (PLR) were useful markers in assessment ofinflammatory response and disease activity in SLEpatients. Mod Rheumatol 2016 ; 26(3):372–376. doi:10. 3109/14397595.2015.1091136
- Miao Y, Yan Q, Li S, et al. Neutrophilto lymphocyte ratio and platelet to lymphocyteratio are predictive of chemotherapeutic responseand prognosis in epithelial ovarian cancer patientstreated with platinum-based chemotherapy.Cancer Biomark 2016 ; 17(1):33–40. doi:10.3233/cbm-160614
- Bhatti I, Peacock O, Lloyd G, et al . Preoperative hematologic markers asindependent predictors of prognosis in resectedpancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: neutrophil lymphocyte versus platelet-lymphocyte ratio. AmJ Surg 2010 ; 200(2):197–203. doi:10.1016/j.amjsurg.2009.08.041
- Ugur M,Gul M, Bozbay M, et al. The relationship between platelet
to lymphocyte ratio and the clinical outcomesin ST elevation myocardial infarction underwentprimary coronary intervention. Blood Coagul
Fibrinolysis 2014 ; 25(8):806–811. doi:10.1097/mbc. 0000000000000150
- Lee SM, Russell A, Hellawell G . Predictivevalue of pretreatment inflammation-based prognostic scores (neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio,platelet-to-lymphocyte ratio, and lymphocyte-tomonocyte ratio) for invasive bladder carcinoma.Korean J Urol 2015 ; 56(11):749–755. doi:10.4111/kju.2015.56.11.749
- Sun X, Liu X, Liu J, et al. Preoperative neutrophilto-lymphocyte ratio plus platelet-to-lymphocyte ratio in predicting survivalfor patients with stage I–II gastric cancer. Chin J Cancer 2016; 35(1):57. doi:10. 1186/s40880-016-0122-2
- Baykan H, Cihan YB, Ozyurt K. Roles of white blood cells and subtypes as inflammatory markers in skin cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2015 ; 16(6):2303–2306
- Saligan LN, Kim HS. A systematic review of the association between immunogenomic markers and cancer-related fatigue. Brain Behav Immun 2012 ; 26(6):830–848. doi:10.1016/j.bbi.2012.05.004
- Abari I S. ACR Revised Criteria for Early Diagnosis of Knee Osteoarthritis. Autoimmune Dis Ther Approaches 2016; 3 (1):118.
- Özler K. Relationship of hematological and biochemical parameters with WOMAC index to severity osteoarthritis. Arch Clin Exp Med 2018;3(2):84-7
- Article View: 14
- PDF Download: 23