Preterm Premature Rupture of Membranes and the Value of Serum Ferritin during Pregnancy
Iraqi Postgraduate Medical Journal,
2020, Volume 19, Issue 4, Pages 350-355
Preterm premature rupture of membranes occurring from 24-37 weeks gestation. Ferritin is an acute phase reactant as it increases during inflammation that inflammation can predispose to preterm premature rupture of membranes during pregnancy.
To investigate the value of serum ferritin as a marker for preterm premature rupture of membrane.
PATIENTS AND METHODS:
The study includes 150 pregnant women attending the department of Obstetrics and Gynecology with a gestational age ranging from 28+0 – 36+6 weeks. 50 of them presented with Preterm premature rupture of membrane (group A), 50 women were presented with spontaneous preterm labor (group B), and the other 50 were without any complaint (group C). Venous blood samples of five ml were collected on admission for measurement of serum ferritin level by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay.
No statistically significant differences between study groups regarding age, parity, gestational age and hemoglobin level (P ≥ 0.05). The mean of serum ferritin was significantly higher among pregnant women presented with Preterm premature rupture of the membranes than those presented with spontaneous preterm labor and healthy women (45.07 versus 26.22 and 22.83 ng/ml respectively) (P= 0.001). By receiver operating characteristic curve analysis, the cut point of serum ferritin value was 38.6 ng/ml.
Measurement of serum ferritin level is a simple rapid and accurate test. It can be applied as a marker for preterm premature rupture of membrane.
- Bennett P, Chapter 28: Preterm labour, Keith Edmonds D. in: Dewhurst’s Textbook of Obstetrics & Gynecology, 9th edition (2018), P: 388.
- Jarjour IT. Neurodevelopmental outcome after extreme prematurity: a review of the literature. Pediatric neurology. 2015 Feb 1; 52(2):143-52.
- Harding JE, Pang JM, Knight DB, Liggins GC. Do antenatal corticosteroids help in the setting of preterm rupture of membranes? American journal of obstetrics and gynecology. 2001 Jan 1;184(2):131-9.
- Mercer BM. Preterm premature rupture of the membranes. Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 101:178–93.
- Weintraub AY, Sheiner E, Mazor M, Levy A, Tevet A, Paamoni O, et al: Maternal serum ferritin concentration in patients with preterm labour and intact membran. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. (2005);18:163-6.
- World Health Organization. Haemoglobin concentrations for the diagnosis of anaemia and assessment of severity. Vitamin and Mineral Nutrition Information System. 2011. Available: http://www.who.int/vmnis/indicators/haemoglobin.pdf.
- World Health Organization. Media Centre. Preterm Birth. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/preterm-birth
- Mahdi A., Alrefaei F., Alzahrani M., Alhafithi M., Rashed A., Binjabi A., Idris A. Prevalence, risk factors, maternal and fetal outcome of PROM in maternity and child hospital Makkah KSA (2016), IJAR; 4(12):1461-69.
- Mubarak AM. Transvaginal cervical length and amniotic fluid index: Can it predict delivery latency following preterm premature rupture of membrane? Med J Babylon 2018; 15:78-82.
- Gahwagi MM, Busarira MO, Atia M. Premature Rupture of Membranes Characteristics, Determinants, and Outcomes of in Benghazi, Libya. Open Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2015 Aug 21;5(09):494.
- Valappil SA, Varkey M, Areeckal B, Thankan K. Serum Ferritin as A Marker for Preterm Premature Rupture of Membranes–A Study from A Tertiary Centre in Central Kerala. Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR. 2015 Jul;9(7):BC09.
- Saha CK, Jain V, Gupta I, Varma N. Serum ferritin level as a marker of preterm labor. International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics. 2000 Nov 1;71(2):107-11.
- Abdel-Malek K, El-Halwagi MA, Hammad BE, Azmy O, Helal O, Eid M, et al. Role of maternal serum ferritin in prediction of preterm labour. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2018 Feb 17; 38 (2):222-5.
- Article View: 16
- PDF Download: 27