Thymic Cyst: An Unusual Cause of Cervical Mass in Children: A Case Report
Iraqi Postgraduate Medical Journal,
2020, Volume 19, Issue 4, Pages 356-360
AbstractINTRODUCTION: Cervical thymic cyst is uncommon cause of neck cysts in children, more common in boys and on the left side of the neck, congenital typemore prevalent than the rare acquired types.
CASE PRESENTATION: We report a case of three years old boy who presented with soft, mobile, non tender cystic mass on left side of the neck. The cystic nature of the lesion was detected clinically and confirmed by CT-scan and MRI .Successful surgical excision through mid line sternetomy was done. The diagnosis was established by histopathological study
CONCLUSION: Congenital cervical thymic cyst is rare condition with an excellent prognosis especially if diagnosed early followed by prompt surgical excision by a surgeon who is familiar with anatomy and embryology of the thymic cyst
- Heise YY, Hsue S, Lin JN, et al. Pathological analysis of congenital cervical cysts in children: 20 years of experience at Chang Gung Memorial Hospital. Chang Gung Med J. 2003;26:107–13.
- Tandon A, Tandon R, Chandrashekhar M, Das P, Bansal B, Bhatia N. Bhatia. Cervical ectopic thymic cyst: a rare preoperative diagnosis. BMJ Case Rep. 2011 Oct 4; 2011.
- Operative pediatric surgery:Mortiz M. ZIEGLER,Richard G. AZIZKHAAN,THOMAS R. WEBER,INTERNATIONAL ED. , P. 415
- Aschcrafts pediatric surgery : editors George whitfeld Holcomb III et al , chapter 26:7th ed. 2020.
- Cigliano B, Baltogiannis N, De Marco M, et al. Cervical thymic cysts.Pediatr Surg Int. 2007;23:1219–1225.
- Hendrickson M, Azarow K, Ein S et al. (1998): Congenital thymic cysts in children—mostly misdiagnosed. J Pediatr Surg., 33:821– 825.7
- Larsen WJ (1993): Development of the head, the neck. Human embryology. Churchill Livingstone, New York.
- Khariwala SS, Nicollas R, Triglia JM, Garabedian EN, Marianowski R, Van Den Abbeele T et al. (2001): Cervical preservations of thymic anomalies in children. Int J PediatrOtorhinolaryngol., 69:909-14. 11.
- Saggese D, Ceroni-Compadretti G, Cartaroni CV (2002): Cervical ectopic thymus: a case report and review of the literature. Int J PediatrOtorhinolaryngol., 66:77-80.
- Mikal S (1974): Cervical thymic cyst case report and review of the literature. Arch Surg., 109:558–562.
- Iqbal SMd, Garg AK, Dubey A. Cervical thymic cyst—a case report. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2005;57(1):67–8.
- Jaiswal AA, Garg AK, Ravindranath M, Mohanty MK. Multiloculated cervical thymic cyst—case report with review of literature. Egypt J Ear Nose Throat Allied Sci. 2014;15(2):129–33
- Prabhakar G, Santhosh AN, Manjunath SS, Santosh KV. Cervical thymic cyst: a case report. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2013;65(Suppl 1):171–3
- Leloupa P, Malard O, Stalder JF, Barbarot S. Kystes et fistulescongénitaux de la face et du cou. Annales de dermatologie et de vénéréologie. 2012;139:842–51.
- Tips and tricks in thoracic surgery :Daksheshparikh,Pala B Rajesh,2018 ed,ch.14 ,p.251-255.
- Article View: 15
- PDF Download: 24