Ventilation Tube Insertion: Oto-Endoscopy versus Surgical Microscopy (Comparative Study)
Iraqi Postgraduate Medical Journal,
2020, Volume 19, Issue 3, Pages 266-271
At the last years, oto-endoscopy have been used for ventilation tubes insertion procedure in cases of otitis media with effusion.
The purpose of the study to evaluate the endoscopic myringotomy and ventilation tube insertion as a valid alternative of using the surgical microscope regarding: safety and time.
PATIENTS AND METHODS:
This study involved (42) patients diagnosed with chronic otitis media with effusion, divided in to tow groups regarding type of procedure was performed. The first group consist of (23) patients, ventilation tube was inserted by using oto-endoscopy, while the second one involved of (19) patients operated by using Surgical microscopy.
Patients that participate in this study were (42 patients) with otitis media with effusion. The oto-endoscopy procedure group consists of (16 patients) were males (69.56%), and (7 patients) were females (30.43%), the group consists of 20 right ears and 23 left ears. Time varied from (2.43-11.54) minutes, mean time ± (SD) 5.55 ± 2.48 minutes. The microscopic procedure group consists of (11 patients) were males (57.89%), and (8patients) were females (42.1%), the group consists of 18 right ears and 18 left ears. Time varied from (4.21-17.02) minutes, mean time ± (SD) 10.92 ± 4.04 minutes. We found statistical significant difference observed in the average operative time between the endoscopic and the usual microscopic procedure for myringotomy and ventilation tube insertion operation at p value < 0.05. (p value 0.008). Regarding the operation related complications between the endoscopic and usual microscopic procedure for myringotomy and ventilation tube insertion there was no significant difference noticed between both operations.
We conclude that the endoscopic procedure of myringotomy and ventilation tube insertion operation is a valid alternative to surgical microscope regarding: safety and time.
- Peter J. Robb and Ian Williamson, Otitis media with effusion , Scott- Browns otolaryngology, head and neck surgery.8th edition. Great Britain. Hodder. Arnold; 2018; Vol.2 chapter 13: p. 115-130.
- Smith N, Greinwald JR ."To tube or not to tube: indications for myringotomy with tube placement". Current Opinion in Otolaryngology & Head and Neck Surgery.2011; 19 (5): p. 363–366.
- Paradise JL, Bluestone CD. Consultation with the specialist: tympanostomy tubes: a contemporary guide to judicious use. Pediatr Rev 2005; 26: p. 61–66.
- Marchioni D, Molteni G, Presutti L. Endoscopic anatomy of the middle ear. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2011; 63:101–13.
- Richard M. Rosenfeld et al., Clinical Practice Guideline: Otitis Media with Effusion (Update), American Academy of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery Foundation, Otolaryngology– Head and Neck Surgery 2016; Vol. 154(1S) S2.
- K Outhoff, Grommets - an update on common indications for tympanostomy tube placement, South African Family Practice 2017; 59(3): p.13.
- Browning GG, Rovers MM, Williamson I, Lous J, Burton MJ. Grommets (ventilation tubes) for hearing loss associated with otitis media with effusion in children. The Cochrane Library. 2010.
- Reyad K. Alalem and Osama J. Essaket, Evaluation of the Safety and Effectiveness of Endoscopic Myringotomy and Ventilation Tube Placement, International Journal of Current Research in Biosciences and Plant Biology, Volume 2 Number 10 (October-2015): p.42.
- FEI-PENG LEE, An alternative use of video-telescopic guidance for insertion of myringotomy tube, The Journal of Laryngology & Otology, E10, 2005; p3.
- Aso Nuri Jalizada, Mouwafaq Al rawi, Lana Abdul Razzaq Dabbagh, Endoscopic Insertion of Tympanostomy Tube in Children, International Journal of Technical Research and Applications, Volume 3, Issue 2 (Mar-Apr 2015): P 103.
- Balasubramanian Thiagarajan, Venkatesan Ulaganathan, Seethalakshmi Narashiman, Endoscopic grommet insertion our experience, Otolaryngology online journal, Volume 2 Supplement 1 2012.
- Martellucci, S., Pagliuca, G., de Vincentiis, M., De Virgilio, A., Fusconi, M., Myringotomy and ventilation tube insertion with endoscopic or microscopic technique in adults: a pilot study. Otolaryngol. Head Neck Surg. 2015.152(5): p. 927-30.
- Nassif, N., Redaelli De Zinis, L.O., Berlucchi, M., Zanetti, D.,, Endoscopic ventilation tube placement in the pediatric age, Clinical Otolaryngology 39, 2013: p. 50-53.
- Seyra Erbek et al, Oto-endoscopic Versus Microscopic Ventilation Tube Placement In Children, ENT Updates, Volume 8 Issue 2 ,August 2018: p 66-70.
- Article View: 5
- PDF Download: 0