Evaluation of Maternal Serum Ischemia Modified Albumin in Ectopic Pregnancy
Iraqi Postgraduate Medical Journal,
2021, Volume 20, Issue 1, Pages 8-16
An ectopic pregnancy is defined as the implantation of a pregnancy outside the normal uterine cavity. Serum ischemia-modified albumin (IMA) and adjusted IMA appear to be significantly increased during pathological pregnancies.
AIM OF THE STUDY:
To compare the level of IMA in ectopic and normal pregnancies, thus understanding the association between oxidative stress and the incidence of ectopic pregnancy.
A case-control study that included 80 women; 38 of them with ectopic pregnancy, and the other 42 were healthy pregnant women. Patients with systemic diseases, a history of smoking, the use of antiinflammatory drugs and antioxidants were excluded from the study. Serum IMA was measured using enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) for all participants.
Means of IMA and adjusted IMA in women with ectopic pregnancy were significantly higher than that in women with normal pregnancy.
There is an association between oxidative stress and ectopic pregnancy
- Horne A. implantation and early pregnancy. In: Kenny L, Bickerstaff H, editors. Gynaecology by Ten Teachers. CRC Press; 2017 ;8.
- Khalaf ibn ʻAbbās AA, Lewis GL, Spink MS. Albucasis on surgery and instruments. Univ of California Press; 1973.
- Condous G. ectopic pregnancy. In: Edmonds DK, Lees C, Bourne TH, editors. Dewhurst’s textbook of obstetrics & gynaecology. 9th ed. Wiley-Blackwell; 2018.
- Cunningham F, Corton MM, Leveno KJ, Bloom SL, Spong CY, Dashe JS, Chapter 19. Ectopic pregnancy in Williams Obstetrics, 25th edition (2018), McGraw-Hill Education / Medical, USA.
- Marion LL, Meeks GR. Ectopic pregnancy: history, incidence, epidemiology, and risk factors. Clinical obstetrics and gynecology. 2015;55:376-86.
- De Bruin JP, Dorland M, Spek ER, Posthuma G, Van Haaften M, Looman CWN, et al. Ultrastructure of the resting ovarian follicle pool in healthy young women. Biol Reprod. Oxford University Press; 2002;66:1151–60.
- Fainaru O, Almog B, Pinchuk I, Kupferminc MJ, Lichtenberg D, Many A. Active labour is associated with increased oxidisibility of serum lipids ex vivo. BJOG An Int J Obstet Gynaecol. Wiley Online Library; 2002;109:938–41.
- Mocatta TJ, Winterbourn CC, Inder TE, Darlow BA. The effect of gestational age and labour on markers of lipid and protein oxidation in cord plasma. Free Radic Res. Taylor & Francis; 2004;38:185–91.
- Ray SD, Lam TS, Rotollo JA, Phadke S, Patel C, Dontabhaktuni A, et al. Oxidative stress is the master operator of drug and chemically-induced programmed and unprogrammed cell death: Implications of natural antioxidants in vivo. Biofactors. IOS Press; 2004;21:223–32.
10. Harma M, Harma M, Kocyigit A. Comparison of protein carbonyl and total plasma thiol concentrations in patients with complete hydatidiform mole with those in healthy pregnant women. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. Taylor & Francis; 2004;83:857–60.
11. Harma, Harma M, Mehmet, Erel O. Increased oxidative stress in patients with hydatidiform mole. Swiss Med Wkly. Basel: EMH Swiss Medical Publishers Ltd., c2001-; 2003;133:563–66.
12. Takagi Y, Nikaido T, Toki T, Kita N, Kanai M, Ashida T, et al. Levels of oxidative stress and redox-related molecules in the placenta in pre-eclampsia and fetal growth restriction. Virchows Arch. Springer; 2004;444:49–55.
13. Loeken MR. Free radicals and birth defects. J Matern Neonatal Med. Taylor & Francis; 2004;15:6–14.
14. Łagód L, Paszkowski T, Sikorski R, Rola R. The antioxidant-prooxidant balance in pregnancy complicated by spontaneous abortion. Ginekol Pol. 2001;72:1073–78.
15. Shaw JL V, Dey SK, Critchley HOD, Horne AW. Current knowledge of etiology of human tubal ectopic pregnancy. Hum Reprod Update. Oxford University Press; 2010;16:432–44.
16. Poston L, Igosheva N, Mistry HD, Seed PT, Shennan AH, Rana S, et al. Role of oxidative stress and antioxidant supplementation in pregnancy disorders–. Am J Clin Nutr. Oxford University Press; 2011;94:1980S–1985S.
17. Sabatini L, Wilson C, Lower A, Al-Shawaf T, Grudzinskas JG. Superoxide dismutase activity in human follicular fluid after controlled ovarian hyperstimulation in women undergoing in vitro fertilization. Fertil Steril. Elsevier; 1999;72:1027–34.
18. Condous G, Kirk E, Lu C, Van Huffel S, Gevaert O, De Moor B, et al. Diagnostic accuracy of varying discriminatory zones for the prediction of ectopic pregnancy in women with a pregnancy of unknown location. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol Off J Int Soc Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. Wiley Online Library; 2005;26:770–5.
19. Cartwright J, Duncan WC, Critchley HOD, Horne AW. Serum biomarkers of tubal ectopic pregnancy: current candidates and future possibilities. Reproduction. Soc Reprod Fertility; 2009;138:9–22.
20. Daponte A, Pournaras S, Zintzaras E, Kallitsaris A, Lialios G, Maniatis AN, et al. The value of a single combined measurement of VEGF, glycodelin, progesterone, PAPP-A, HPL and LIF for differentiating between ectopic and abnormal intrauterine pregnancy. Hum Reprod. Oxford University Press; 2005;20:3163–6.
21. Katsikis I, Rousso D, Farmakiotis D, Kourtis A, Diamanti-Kandarakis E, Panidis D. Receiver operator characteristics and diagnostic value of progesterone and CA-125 in the prediction of ectopic and abortive intrauterine gestations. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. Elsevier; 2006;125:226–32.
22. Develioglu OH, Askalli C, Uncu G, Samli B, Daragenli O. Evaluation of serum creatine kinase in ectopic pregnancy with reference to tubal status and histopathology. BJOG An Int J Obstet Gynaecol. Wiley Online Library; 2002;109:121–8.
23. Bozkaya G, Karaca I, Fenercioglu O, Yildirim Karaca S, Bilgili S, Uzuncan N. Evaluation of maternal serum ischemia modified albumin and total antioxidant status in ectopic pregnancy. J Matern Neonatal Med. Taylor & Francis; 2018;1–6.
24. Jauniaux E, Gulbis B, Burton GJ. The human first trimester gestational sac limits rather than facilitates oxygen transfer to the fetus—a review. Placenta. Elsevier; 2003;24:S86–93.
25. Hilali N, Aksoy N, Vural M, Camuzcuoglu H, Taskin A. Oxidative status and serum prolidase activity in tubal ectopic pregnancy. J Pak Med Assoc. 2013;63:169–72.
26. Agarwal A, Aponte-Mellado A, Premkumar BJ, Shaman A, Gupta S. The effects of oxidative stress on female reproduction: a review. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. BioMed Central; 2012;10:49.
27. Wu AHB, Morris DL, Fletcher DR, Apple FS, Christenson RH, Painter PC. Analysis of the Albumin cobalt Binding (ACB TM) test as an adjunct to cardiac troponin I for the early detection of acute myocardial infarction. Cardiovasc Toxicol. Springer; 2001;1:147–51.
28. Turedi S, Gunduz A, Mentese A, Karahan SC, Yilmaz SE, Eroglu O, et al. value of ischemia-modified albumin in the diagnosis of pulmonary embolism. Am J Emerg Med. Elsevier; 2007;25:770–3.
29. Gunduz A, Turedi S, Mentese A, Karahan SC, Hos G, Tatlı O, et al. Ischemia-modified albumin in the diagnosis of acute mesenteric ischemia: a preliminary study. Am J Emerg Med. Elsevier; 2008;26:202–5.
30. Abboud H, Labreuche J, Meseguer E, Lavallee PC, Simon O, Olivot J-M, et al. Ischemia-modified albumin in acute stroke. Cerebrovasc Dis. Karger Publishers; 2007;23:216–20.
31. Turedi S, Cinar O, Kaldirim U, Mentese A, Tatli O, Cevik E, et al. Ischemia-modified albumin levels in carbon monoxide poisoning. Am J Emerg Med. Elsevier; 2011;29:675–81.
32. Study of 50 cases of modern management of ectopic pregnancy. Int J Reprod Contraception, Obstet Gynecol. 2017;3:374–9.
33. Duhig K, Chappell LC, Shennan AH. Oxidative stress in pregnancy and reproduction. Obstet Med. SAGE Publications Sage UK: London, England; 2016;9:113–6.
34. Dahiya K, Kulshrestha MR, Bansal P, Ghalaut VS, Kulshrestha R, Dahiya P, et al. Evaluation of cord blood ischemia modified albumin in normal pregnancies and pre-eclampsia. Hypertens pregnancy. Taylor & Francis; 2015;34:204–8.
35. Bar–Or D, Lau E, Winkler J V. A novel assay for cobalt-albumin binding and its potential as a marker for myocardial ischemia—a preliminary report1. J Emerg Med. Elsevier; 2000;19:311–5.
36. Reddy S V, Suchitra MM, Pradeep V, Alok S, Suresh V, Bitla AR, et al. Ischemia-modified albumin levels in overt and subclinical hypothyroidism. J Endocrinol Invest. Springer; 2015;38:885–90.
37. Knöfler M. Critical growth factors and signalling pathways controlling human trophoblast invasion. Int J Dev Biol. Europe PMC Funders; 2010;54:269.
38. Burton GJ, Jauniaux E. Oxidative stress. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. Elsevier; 2011;25:287–99.
- Article View: 3
- PDF Download: 10