Interphase Fluorescence in Situ hybridization Analysis of 17p13.1 and 11q22.3 Deletions among CLL Patients
Iraqi Postgraduate Medical Journal,
2021, Volume 20, Issue 1, Pages 39-45
Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) is a B‐cell neoplasm. It is the most frequent adult leukemia in European countries, comprising up to 30% of all adult leukemias with male predominance. Detection of a 17p13.1 deletion (loss of TP53) or 11q22.3 deletion (loss of ATM), by fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH), is associated with a poorer prognosis.
This study aims to analyze the frequency of cytogenetics abnormalities among CLL patients.
PATIENTS, MATERIALS AND METHODS:
This study enrolled 30 adult patients presented with chronic lymphocytic leukemia visiting Baghdad teaching hospital/hematology center lab/cytogenetic unit-Baghdad /Iraq during the period extending from Mar. till Nov. 2020.The patients were diagnosed on the basis of standard clinical (Lymph node involvement and / or hepatosplenomegally), hematological and immunophenotypic criteria for diagnosis of B-CLL. Interphase FISH technique was performed on peripheral Blood samples using XL ATM/TP53 dual-color probe.
We studied 30 CLL patients by I-FISH technique to detect the occurrence of cytogenetic abnormalities, eighteen (60%) had one or more cytogenetic abnormalities; Eleven (36.7%) had 17p- (including 2 with 17p- and 11q- in separate clones), Five (16.7%) had 11q-, and Two (6.7%) of patients had clonal 17p-/11q-. Twelve (40%) had neither 17p- nor 11q-. There was no statistically significant clinico pathological correlation with these cytogenetic abnormalities; p-value >0.05.
The cytogenetic abnormalities including 17p-, 11q- and clonal 17p-/11q- among CLL patients occur within the reported figures worldwide. There was no statistically significant clinico pathological correlation with these cytogenetic abnormalities.
- American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts & Figures 2016. Atlanta: American Cancer Society;2016.http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/@research/documents/document/acspc-047079.pdf.
- Dohner H, Stilgenbauer S, Dohner K, Bentz M, Lichter P. Chromosome aberrations in B‐cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia: reassessment based on molecular cytogenetic analysis. J Mol Med. 1999; 77: 266–281.
- Dohner H, Stilgenbauer S, Benner A, Leupolt E, Krober A et al. Genomic aberrations and survival in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. N Engl J Med. 2000; 343: 1910–16.
- Calin GA, Cimmino A, Fabbri M, Ferracin M, Wojcik SE et al. MiR‐15a and miR‐16–1 cluster functions in human leukemia. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2008; 105:5166–71.
- Byrd JC, Smith L, Hackbarth ML, Flinn IW, Young D et al. Interphase cytogenetic abnormalities in chronic lymphocytic leukemia may predict response to rituximab. Cancer Res .2003;63: 36–38.
- Lin TS, Flinn IW, Lucas MS, Porcu P, Sickler J et al. Filgrastim and alemtuzumab (Campath‐1H) for refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Leukemia. 2005;19: 1207–10.
- Byrd JC, Gribben JG, Peterson BL, Grever MR, Lozanski G et al. Select high‐risk genetic features predict earlier progression following chemoimmunotherapy with fludarabine and rituximab in chronic lymphocytic leukemia: justification for risk‐adapted therapy. J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24:437–43.
- Emandar KV and Bueso-Ramos CE .Pathology of chronic lymphocytic leukeamia: an update. Annals of Diagnostic Pathology. 2007;11:363-89.
- Sindelarova L, Michalova K, Zemanova Z, Ransdorfova S, Brezinova J et al. Incidence of chromosomal anomalies detected with FISH and their clinical correlation in B-chronic lymphocytic leukeamia. Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics.2005;160:27-34.
- Zenz T, Krober A, Scherer K, Habe S, Buhler A et al. Monoallelic TP53 inactivation is associated with poor prognosis in chronic lymphocytic leukemia: results from a detailed genetic characterization with long-term follow-up. Blood. 2008;112:3322–29.
- Austen B, Skowronska A, Baker C, Powell JE, Gardiner A et al. Mutation status of the residual ATM allele is an important determinant of the cellular response to chemotherapy and survival in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia containing an 11q deletion. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2007; 25:5448– 57.
- Dohner H, Fischer K, Bentz M, Hansen K, Benner A et al. p53 gene deletion predicts for poor survival and non-response to therapy with purine analogs in chronic B-cell leukemias. Blood. 1995;85:1580–89.
- Pospisilova S, Gonzalez D, Malcikova J, Trbusek M, Rossi D et al. ERIC recommendations on TP53 mutation analysis in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Leukemia. 2012;26:1458–61.
- Zenz T, Eichhorst B, Busch R, Denzel T, Habe S et al. TP53 mutation and survival in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2010;28:4473–79.
- EL Taweel M, Barin C, Cymbalista F and Echlache V.Detection of chromosomal ubnormalities associated with chronic lymphocytic leukeamia: what is the best method?Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics.2009;195:37-42.
- Stevens-kroef M, Simons A, Gorissen H, Feuth T, Weghues DO et al. Identification of abnormalities relevant to prognosis in chronic lymphocytic leukemia using multiplex ligation -dependent probe amplification. Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics.2010;195:97-104.
- Zenz T, Dohner H and stilgenbauer S. Differentia Diagnosis,Staging and Prognostic Factors.In:Chronic Lymphocytic Leukeamia,by:Obrien SM,Gribben JG. Informa Healthcare USA.Inc.2008:103-19.
- Doneda L, Montillo M, Intropido L, Tedeschi A, Morra E et al.Interphase flourscence in situ hybridization analysis of del(11)(q23)and del(17)(p13) in chronic lymphocytic leukeamia:a study of 40 early- onset patients. Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics.2003;140:31-36.
- Eid OM, Eid MM, Kayed HF, Mahmoud WM, Mousafa SS et al. Detection of cytogenetics ubnormalities in chronic lymphocytic leukeamia using FISH technique and their prognostic impact.G.J.O.2014;15:68-70.
- Stilgenbauer S and Dohner H .Molecular Diagnostics and Risk-stratification in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukeamia. Europian Oncological Disease.2006;62-64.
- Haferlach C, Dicker F, Shinttger S, Kern W and Haferlach T. Comprehensive genetic characterization of CLL: a study on 506 cases analysed with chromosome banding analysis, interphase FISH, IgVH status and Immunophenotyping. Leukemia.2007;21:2442-51.
- Quijano S, Lopez A, Rasillo A et al.Impact of trisomy 12,del(13q),del(17p) and del(11q) on the Immunophenotype,DNA Ploidy Status,and Proliferative Rate of Leukemic B-Cells in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. Cytometry Part B(Clinical Cytometry).2008;74:139-49.
- Lu G, Kong Y and Yue C. Genetic and immunophenotypic profile of IGH rearrangement detected by fluorescence in situ hybridization in 149 cases of B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia.Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics.2010;169;56-63.
- Gaidano G, Ballerini p, Gong Jz, Inghirami G, Neri A.P53 mutations in human lymphoid malignancies: association with Burkitt Lymphoma and chronic lymphocytic leukeamia. Proc Nalt Acad Sci USA.1991;88:5413-17.
- Cano I, Martinez J, Quevedo E, Pinilla J, Martin-Recio A et al.Trisomy12and p53deletion in chronic lymphocytic leukeamia detected fluorescence in situ hybridization: association with morphology and resistance to conventional chemotherapy. Cancer Genet Cytogenet.1996;90:118-24.
- Amiel A, Arbov L, Manor Y, Fejgen M, Elis A et al. Monoallelic p53 deletion in chronic lymphocytic leucemia .Cancer Genet Cytogenet.1997;97:97-100.
- Dijkstra MK, Lom KV, Tielemans D, Elstrodt F, Langerak A et al.17p13/TP53 deletion in B-CLL patients is associated-with microRNA-34a downregulation.Leukeamia.2009;23;625-27.
- Xu W, Li JY, Shen QD, Wu YJ,Yu H et al. Expression level of lipoprotein lipase in chinese patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia and its correlation with other prognostic factors. International Journal of laboratory Heamatology.2008;85:1-8.
- Abdel salam M, El Sissy A, Samara M, Ibrahim S, El Markaby D et al. The impact of trisomy 12, retinoblastoma gene and P53in prognosis of B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia.Hematology.2008;13:147-153.
- Dickinson J D, Gilmore J, Iqbal J, Sanger W, Lynch JC et al.11q22,a deletion in B-chronic lymphocytic leukemia is specifically associated with bulky lymphadenopathy and ZAP-70 expression but not reduced expression of adhesion/cell surface receptor molecules. Leukemia and Lymphoma.2006;47:231.
- Gozzetti A, Crupi R and Tozzuoli D. The use of fluorescence In situ hybridization (FISH) in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL).Hematology.2004;9:11-15.
- Ripolles L, Ortega M, Ortun F, Gonzalez A, Losadad J et al. Genetic abnormalities and clinical out come in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics.2006; 171:57-64.
- Greipp PT, Smoley SA, Viswanatha DS, Frederick LS, Rabe KG et al. Patients with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia and clonal deletion of both 17p13.1 and 11q22.3 have a very poor prognosis. Br J Haematol. 2013; 163: 326–33.
- Reddy KS. Chronic lymphocytic leukemia profiled for prognosis using a fluorescence in situ hybridization panel. British Journal of Haematology.2006; 132:705-22.
- Guarini A, Marinelli M, Tavolaro S, Bellacchio E, Magliozzi M et al.ATM gene alteration in chronic lymphocytic leukemia patients induce adistinct gene expression profile and predict disease progression.Heamatolgica.2012;97:47-55.
- Zhu Y, Monni O, EL-Rifai W, Siitonen SM,Vilpo L et al. Discontinuous deletions at 11q 23in B cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia.Leukemia.1999;13:708-12.
- Xu W, Li JY, Pan JL, Qiu HR, Shen YF et al. Interphase fluorescence Insitu Hybridization Detection of Cytogenetic Abnormalities in B-Cell Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. Int J Hematol.2007;85:430-36.
- Arsham Ms, Barch MJ, Lawce HJ. The AGT Cytogenetics Laboratory Manual.4th ed. Hoboken, New Jersey. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.; 2017:521.
- Swerdlow SH, Campo E, Harris NL, Jaffe ES, Pileri SA, Stein H, Thiele J. WHO Classification of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues.4th. ed. France. International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).2017:218.
- Article View: 15
- PDF Download: 7