A Review on Vitamin B12 and Diabetic Neuropathy
Iraqi Postgraduate Medical Journal,
2021, Volume 20, Issue 2, Pages 99-101
AbstractVitamin B12, also called cobalamin, is a vitamin that is important for several biological functions. It is acted as a neurotrophic factor with an affinity for neuronal tissues and has been showing to be essential in preserving and regenerating peripheral nerves. It is important in supporting the process of myelination, participating to functional restoration. Diabetic neuropathy mentions to various types of nerve damage linked to diabetes mellitus. These conditions are microvascular complications of diabetes mellitus including small blood vessels that provide nerves. Relatively, third, fourth, or sixth cranial nerve palsy are common conditions that may be linked with diabetic neuropathy. Interestingly, a significant correlation was found between lower vitamin B12 concentrations and possessing a positive diagnosis of diabetic neuropathy.
- Huang Z-F, Lin B-Q, Torsha TT, Dilshad S, Yang D-S, and Xiao J. Effect of mannitol plus vitamins B in the management of patients with piriformis syndrome. J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil. 2019; 32: 329–37.
- Xu G, Lv Z-W, Feng Y, Tang W-Z, and Xu GX. A single-center randomized controlled trial of local methylcobalamin injection for subacute herpetic neuralgia. Pain Med. 2013; 14: 884–94.
- Kuwabara S, Nakazawa R, Azuma N, Suzuki M, Miyajima K, Fukutake T, et al. Intravenous methylcobalamin treatment for uremic and diabetic neuropathy in chronic hemodialysis patients. Intern Med. 1999; 38: 472–75.
- "What Is Microvascular Cranial Nerve Palsy?”. aao.org. 1 September 2017. Archived from the original on 22 December 2017.
- Behl T, Kaur I, and Kotwani A. Implication of oxidative stress in progression of diabetic retinopathy. Surv Ophthalmol. 2015; 61:187–96. [PubMed]
- Alvarez M, Sierra OR, Saavedra G, and Moreno S. Vitamin B12 deficiency and diabetic neuropathy in patients taking metformin: a cross-sectional study. Endocr Connect. 2019 ; 8(10): 1324–29.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: National Diabetes Statistics Report: Estimates of Diabetes and its Burden in the United States. [Aug; 2017]; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Lindenbaum J, Healton EB, Savage DG, Brust JC, Garrett TJ, Podell ER, et al. Neuropsychiatric disorders caused by cobalamin deficiency in the absence of anemia or macrocytosis. N Engl J Med. 1988; 318: 1720–28. [PubMed].
- Owhin SO, Adaja TM, Fasipe OJ, Akhideno PE, Kalejaiye OO, and Kehinde MO. Prevalence of vitamin B12 deficiency among metformin-treated type 2 diabetic patients in a tertiary institution, South-South Nigeria. SAGE Open Med. 2019; 7: 1–8. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]
10. Raizada N, Jyotsna VP, Sreenivas V, and Tandon N. Serum vitamin B12 levels in Type 2 diabetes patients on metformin compared to those never on metformin: a cross-sectional study. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2017; 21:424–28. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]
11. Beulens JW, Hart HE, Kuijs R, Kooijman-Buiting AM, and Rutten GE. Influence of duration and dose of metformin on cobalamin deficiency in type 2 diabetes patients using metformin. Acta Diabetologica. 2015; 52: 47–53. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]
12. Ahmed MA, Muntingh G, and Rheeder P. Vitamin B12 deficiency in metformin-treated type-2 diabetes patients, prevalence and association with peripheral neuropathy. BMC Pharmacology & Toxicology. 2016; 17: 44.) [PMC free article] [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]
13. Alharbi TJ, Tourkmani AM, Abdelhay O, Alkhashan HI, Al-Asmari AK, Bin Rsheed AM, et al. The association of metformin use with vitamin B12 deficiency and peripheral neuropathy in Saudi individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus. PLOS ONE. 2018; 13: e0204420. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]
14. Yang W, Cai X, Wu H, and Ji L. Associations between metformin use and vitamin B12 levels, anemia, and neuropathy in patients with diabetes: a meta-analysis. J Diabetes. 2019; 11:729–43. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]
15. Nervo M, Lubini A, Raimundo FV, Faulhaber GA, Leite C, Fischer LM, et al. Vitamin B12 in metformin-treated diabetic patients: a cross-sectional study in Brazil. Rev Assoc Med Bras. 2011; 57: 46–49. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]
16. Ko SH, Ko SH, Ahn YB, Song KH, Han KD, Park YM, et al. Association of vitamin B12 deficiency and metformin use in patients with type 2 diabetes. J Korean Med Sci. 2014; 29: 965–72. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]
17. Zinman B, Gerich J, Buse J, Lewin A, Schwartz S, Raskin P, et al. American Diabetes Association. Standards of medical care in diabetes-2010 Diabetes care. 2010; 33:692. [Google Scholar]
18. Sinha PK. Assessment of Vitamin B12 deficiency and peripheral neuropathy in patients with diabetes. Int j med health res. 2019; 5:101–5.
19. Gupta K, Jain A, and Rohatgi A. An observational study of vitamin B12 levels and peripheral neuropathy profile in patients of diabetes mellitus on metformin therapy. Diabetes Metab Syndr. 2018; 12: 51–58. [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]
20. Sun Y, Lai MS, and Lu CJ. Effectiveness of vitamin B12 on diabetic neuropathy: systematic review of clinical controlled trials. Acta Neurol Taiwan. 2005;14:48–54. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
21. Jayabalan B and Low LL. Vitamin B supplementation for diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Singapore Med J. 2016; 57: 55–59. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [CrossRef] [Google Scholar]
22. Bauman WA, Shaw S, Jayatilleke E, Spungen AM, and Herbert V. Increased intake of calcium reverses vitamin B12 malabsorption induced by metformin. Diabetes care. 2000; 23: 1227–31. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
23. Ting RZ-W, Szeto CC, Chan MH-M, Ma KK, and Chow KM. Risk factors of vitamin B12 deficiency in patients receiving metformin. Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166:1975–79.
24. Nagrebetsky A, Griffin S, Kinmonth AL, Sutton S, Craven A, and Farmer A. Predictors of suboptimal glycaemic control in type 2 diabetes patients: the role of medication adherence and body mass index in the relationship between glycaemia and age. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2012; 96:119–28.
25. Tanaka Y, Uchino H, Shimizu T, Yoshii H, Niwa M, Ohmura C, et al. Effect of metformin on advanced glycation endproduct formation and peripheral nervefunction in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 1999;376:17–22.
- Article View: 45
- PDF Download: 47